Saturday, June 16, 2007

Music in Austin

Hi, I am writing from the live music capital of the world, Austin Texas. Here in Austin we feel surrounded by music at times. Tonight my wife and I went to Lake Travis, just outside of Austin, in the hill country for a quiet time and a little drinking - but we were surrounded by music, both live and pumped in. There was a cover band playing in the restaurant and of course there was the pumped in music right next to us. There are so many bands they need to find any place to play and entertain.

Saturday and Friday are the 2 nights I usually head downtown in Austin. My favorite music area is Red River but the music is spread out around Austin. Typically every area has at least 6 or 7 places to see live music most nights of the week. But in the Red River I cannot even start to count the places that offer live music. Last week I visited a place with a heavy metal band as you walk in the door, a comedian in a small room in back of that room, and on the roof another quieter band was playing. Currently many of the live houses here in Austin try to offer 2 or 3 places for music. Again, there are so many bands available and they all need a place to play. What can you do?

No comments: